© 2016 by Silver Vintage Photography. 

svpfineart@gmail.com

Back In The Studio

March 10, 2017

This week saw me heading back into the studio to create the images for the 'Snatchabook' book. Monday morning rolled around and after not much sleep I loaded up the car and dragged in as many props as I could. 

 

Setting up the studio itself didn't take too long as I was planning on having just the books I'd made and the background, however, as always when it comes to the big shoots, there was a major issue.

 

The spot projector I was using decided that it wouldn't play ball and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to focus right. Cue a mad panic and the next few hours trying to source either a new projector, a vinyl background or an actual library!

 

By 1pm on Monday afternoon I was close to postponing but then the wonderful staff at Harrogate College stepped in to help. By 2pm I had a studio full of books that the fantastic library assistants had allowed me to take, a book shelf on the way and library trolley. Okay, so it wouldn't be exactly as I'd planned but hey, sometimes you just have to go with it.

 

I set up what I could and then tried the projector again. Much to my surprise, the fault that had started the panic actually added to the aesthetics of the new constructed set.

 

 

Tuesday morning I was calm and ready. My model - a fellow photography student who I knew would be perfect to play the Snatchabook - turned up and we were good to go. Before she headed into make-up I managed to take a test shot, the idea being I would develop it and make a quick contact print whilst she was getting ready. I would use this to make any necessary adjustments but to my absolute delight I found that not only was it unnecessary to change anything but that I had also shot the first image of this series.

 

As with the Hungry Caterpillar, Holly, my spectacular make up artist, knew how to interpret exactly what I wanted and by lunch I had the perfect personification of the Snatchabook. 

We were ready to go.

 

 

 

 In fact, the shoot went so well that I was able to create contact prints of the negatives and show them to my tutor. With a few adjustments to the set, we got the whole thing pinned down and I had put the camera away by 4pm. Astounding!

 

Next up I have the task of colouring, which offers a particular challange as I'm going to have to colour all three prints at the same time to ensure the colours match as closely as I can get them. Space is a bit of an issue so this should be another fun task in problem solving!

 

 

 

 

Please reload

Recent Posts

August 9, 2019

July 17, 2019

June 1, 2019

May 17, 2019

April 22, 2019

March 15, 2019

March 9, 2019

February 13, 2019

Please reload

Archive
Please reload

Search By Tags